Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Busy hands


 While I have not been blogging, I certainly have not been idle. I ended up taking Bry out of school last year and homeschooling through the public schools extension program. It was necessary for him to be removed from the middle school environment before he was eaten alive! The public / home school extension has teachers on staff who teach classes, you can put your child in the classes part time, or full time. I chose part time. I had him in his math, science, and reading classes. Parents are required to be on campus during class hours, so I had to cut my hours at work. I don't sit still very well, so I found a way to occupy myself.
 As I worked, I found that I really enjoy making bags that are not like any other you see on the internet. If you google Plarn or plastic crochet, you get Plain Jane plastic tote bags that are made without much thought to design or colors. I put out the word that I needed peoples plastic bags, and they came to me by the hundreds.




  Most of my bags sold as soon as they were completed. I even took in several special orders. This kept me busy, and made up a bit of the lost income (just a tiny bit). But most importantly, it was a portable expression of my "artistic side". I barely made it out to the gardens this year, so My weeds grew like a garden! I did manage to completely rework the front yard and side beds before winter though.



Yes, I actually moved all the plants that had been growing for several years, and totally rearranged the front yard. My idea was to close in the front from the sidewalk and afford a bit more privacy. I actually did it because I cannot stand the HOA president here, and maybe, just a little bit of me wanted to see if they would write me up... (They had written me up because my gardens needed to be weeded)... 
Well, they had a special meeting because my husband had removed a tree that was dropping nasty sap all over our cars, but had not replaced it yet. I received a call from a friend on the board who said the HOA president was actually filing a complaint with the city over it. Well... The city told my husband that there were no rules about there HAVING to be a tree there. BUT if he planted one, he had to use the root barrier system to keep the roots from buckling the sidewalk. Of course there were none there to begin with with the original tree. I did get a beautiful little dogwood out of the deal. My husband said he could deal with trees that drop flowers much better than those that drop sap.
Of course it will take a long time to reach the size of the original tree. I had been nurturing it for the last 11 years since buying the house. Mine were the tallest, fullest and prettiest on the street (IMHO).
I saved the best for last. 
I QUIT SMOKING!!!!!
my last cigarette was Sunday, August 7, 2011.
I have had to learn how to "DEAL" with life all over again.
I have been medicating myself with nicotine for 26 years. 
This is the hardest thing I have EVER done. 
EVER
Seriously!!!
I thought I would kill someone.
 Or die trying.
BUT
 We survived the hardest part.
Every day I make the decision not to smoke
several times a day.
I hope it gets easier.


Oh,  My sister is on her 17th round of Chemo this time. We don't know how many more. 
She did radiation first, and they did a surgery between, and it almost killed her.
But she is amazing. She keeps fighting.
Here she is "modeling" a hat and scarf I made her. 
Funny girl.

9 comments:

  1. I have to tell you I won the bag you donated for our Relay raffle and I love it so much. I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear how many compliments I get on it where ever I go :) Glad to see you've taken some time off. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You funny friend! I really like that bag! It was one of my favorite designs! I am glad to hear it is getting used!

      Delete
  2. Yep, more than once one somebody or another made it down to Gramma's because Mom was trying to stop smoking and she was crabby. (Put nicely.) Proud of you darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all have been through a lot these past 1+ years and your faith muscles have had a really hard workout! But you're doing good! Proud of you, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love each and everyone of those bags!

    Thinking of you all and sending you continued love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very sorry for all this spam by Anonymous. I have had to change settings, hopefully that will stop this excess spam.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails